Friday, May 13, 2011

The Prosecution Rests

It was a Sunday morning when I walked into my own intervention. My parents sat solemnly in our tacky living room, with the unnecessary presence of my sister, waiting for me to walk in from my ten hour slumber. I tried to make myself look presentable for this awkward situation, but my blue monkey pajamas paired with my favorite X Files t shirt just didn't do me justice. I was a poorly dressed lawyer with unevenly cut bangs- defending my innocent crime. My parents were the unruly prosecution and my eight year old sister was the judge. This must have been in some eighteenth century British court before a fair, jury trial was invented, but I had to make the best of the situation. Sure, I had been doing poorly in school, and maybe my attitude was less than pleasant, but my life, as I saw it, was just plain hard. It wasn't my fault that I hated Chemistry or the that the teacher was bombarding me with exams. Had they even talked to my English teacher? I was amazing in that class. The prosecution responded with their biased opinion calling the English language a waste of time, but the judge was too busy painting her stuffed animal's nails to overrule. Clearly I would never get through to them with simple logic. I would have to build a more clever defense; I would play to their emotions. It really wasn't my fault at all because I was just a fifteen year old girl. I spent the majority of my time at home alone because all my parents do is work and how would they even know if I studied? I'm asleep by the time they get home. Then, with a hint of sadness in my voice I slowly dug deeper into the prosecutions' hearts. Maybe, just maybe if I could be more like my perfect brother I would make my parents happy. I'd promise to be just like him from now on. The room was silent and the judge looked up from her green puppy dog with hot pink nails. That was it, I had them. My dad was about to say something and I contemplated pleading insanity because I had spent every waking moment with an eight year old whose only friends were helpless stuffed animals, but nothing came out of his mouth. It was over, I had won my first court case and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life.

No comments: